katimugambalon

Ruminations on literature, film, life, and what-have-you.

Monday, November 21, 2005

Woof

Just got a picture of my sister with her Chowchow, Niles.

I have always been fond of dogs every since I was a kid. Even when I entered the Society, dogs have likewise become a bundle of joy to me.

For instance, when I was still in Arvisu house, I attempted to train Bonjo (nick for Bon Jovi) and played with the irrepresible Clinton, and the who-are-you-looking-at Hillary. And when they had puppies (no, none of them were named Chelsea), that was a riot!

In Sacred Heart Novitiate, there was Magis, the half-German Shepherd whom I walked during the Long Retreat every morning. There's the half-Spitz Gandalf, who was as brown as their Carmelite donors—he was notorious for hiding under refectory tables, waiting for anything to nibble from generous retreatants. And of course, the dog Bishop (who was given by a bishop) caused a stir when one of the manualia assignments was listed as "bathe Bishop."

When I was sent Olutanga for my mission exposure, Fr. Kim Lachica's dog, Iggy, a native dog with an amputated foot, sat by my feet as I contemplated on life.

Here in Loyola House, Weyms' Rottweiler, Gabby, would look with her amber eyes and plead for someone to scratch behind her ears.

I suppose, if we Jesuits are called companions of Jesus, these dogs can be called the canine companions of companions?

3 Comments:

Blogger Fr Ton said...

arfff, arfff, arfff, arfff, arfff, arfff, arfff, arfff, arfff, arfff, arfff, arfff, arfff, arfff, arfff, arfff, arfff, arfff, arfff, arfff!

5:36 AM  
Blogger three stars and a sun said...

hey jodes,
i really wish Niles can visit us sometime, hehehe.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i love dogs!but i dont have one.Ü

Fr Jody (did i spell it right?), i heard you'll be here with Fr Noel in CDOC? you might be my teacher next year. hope to see you soon! ;> God bless.

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home